Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Milk Machines


I had to post this image from Meet the Fockers... If only men could breastfeed!

Okay, sugar mamas! This post is all about BOOBS!

I love my boobs. They have treated me well over the years and now they have a whole new purpose. Since giving birth I've had mastitis twice and my left breast's milk supply took a big hit that never fully recovered. Lucky for me my right lady lump is an over achiever. Phew! Below are products I've used for my BOOBS.

Thyme Maternity nursing bras
You can find these at Babies"R"Us and usually on sale! It's not recommended that you wear a wire bra while breastfeeding so stick with the wire free styles.

Medela Lanolin
Lanolin is pretty much just lanolin but I like the shape of the Medela bottle. It slides into the pockets of my diaper bag a lot easier. Registry tip: you won't need more than 1 bottle. I've barely put a dent in the one I have. A friend of mine told me that she now uses it for her kids thumb (she's been sucking on it so much it's cracked!) Here is a blog that list 10 other ways to use lanolin.

Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk Tea
I incorporate tea time into everyday! After I put Marley down to bed at night I make a cup of this tea to unwind with. I wasn't a huge fan of the licorice taste at first but I've gotten really accustomed to it and find it really nice after a long day with the baby. I think it supports my milk production but really who knows if tea can help for sure. I think it gives me peace of mind more than anything. I'll drink to that! Note: I've linked to the bulk buy because its cheaper! But they do sell single packs (16 bags) as well.

Go-Lacta
I am so glad my lactation consultant recommend these malunggay supplements for me when I was struggling with breastfeeding and milk production. I saw an increase in my supply within 3 weeks. They are 100% vegan and safe for breastfeeding mothers. Some women even continue to take it after they stop because of the benefits of malunggay leaves (immune defense, helps controls blood pressure, phytochemicals that help prevent cancer cell growth, sleep support, headache relief, and so much more!) See FAQs on their website for more information


Lansinoh Nursing Pads 
I've used Lansinoh from the get-go but have also tried Phillps Avent day and night pads. Phillips were stiffer and only have one sticky on the back. Lansinoh has 2 stickies and do a good job holding up for me overnight. You'll need a million of these. Change them often to avoid an infection of any kind. I bulk buy on Amazon at about $0.10/each. The packaging is all recyclable so do your part!

If you prefer washable nursing pads I have used Phillips and I like them for daytime use (maybe 1-2 hrs wear.) I don't recommend wearing these overnight. You'll wake up soaked. Any crunchy mamas out there find another brand they love?

Breast Shells & Shields
I only used these the first few weeks after giving birth because that is when my milk let down was the craziest! When I was in the hospital Marley had latching issues so I was (and continue) using shields and they also gave me a Medela shell to use to try and heal my injured nipple. This one worked fine. I like that there was a little sponge in them. I also used Phillips Avent Shells (cheaper) and those worked pretty great too. Again, I only used these for about the first 3 weeks but I'm really glad I had a set handy. Medela makes the best nipple shields if you need those for latching (I hope you don't because they are kind of a pain.)

As always, I want to hear what you love. Comment below, or shoot me an e-mail with your favorites!
-xoxo-
Marley's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment