Thursday, January 30, 2014

milk storage

Pumping, and maintaining your milk supply is an incredible labor of love. Cleaning pump parts and bottles is probably my least favorite part of the day and it can take me upwards of 30-45 minutes. However, I'm grateful that I can nurse and feed my baby exclusively with breast milk so its totally worth it.

Milk storage is whole other conversation. I secretly love feeling like a mad scientist when I'm transferring milk from bottle to bottle and into little sealed bags. I don't have a deep freezer but boy, could that come in handy. Here is my process for storing and freezing milk for a semi small freezer unit!

I've used a few other brands that I've received samples from that pour out a littler easier but they don't store as well in the container that I use. Prices on Amazon are $0.17/bag vs. Babies"R"Us $0.20/bag.


Before I had this simple little gem my milk bags looked like this...

Now they look like this and I promise it makes storing them MUCH easier. The container works with MOST storage bags and it's almost 50% off retail price on amazon.  Use the link above to check it out or add to your amazon registry.




When my storage container fills up I transfer the bags to a gallon size ziploc freezer bag. I write the range of dates on the bag so I know which to use first. I like getting them on Amazon in bulk because they cost about $0.13/bag and they are delivered for free to my door.

For tips and guidelines on how long you can store milk I trust Kelly Mom for awnsers!

It's not rocket science but sometimes it's nice to see how someone else does things. It wasn't much of a thought for me before Marley arrived so I would have benefited from anyone taking about what they did with their breast milk! 

I'm curious as to what you do for milk storage so please comment below if you have something amazing that works for you!
-xoxo-
Marley's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment